Thursday 22 March 2007

takeaways


takeaways, originally uploaded by Lester Ralph Blair.

My childhood was spent on a farm at a place called Ngaere. Once or twice a year my parents would treat us to some high living in the way of a restaurant meal. There were two choices in Stratford. A dinner at one of the hotels. The menu had one main course. Roast of the day, either beef or mutton, gravy, roast potatoes, boiled cauliflower and peas. The dining room was dark with heavy furniture, tables set with white linen and a confusing amount of cutlery. The other choice was Radich's Restaurant. A cheerful dining room with bright red formica tables and plastic place mats. There was a choice of fish of the day or oysters, both deep fried in batter. I learnt to go with the oysters, or invariably I would be carted out with a fish bone lodged in my throat. This sign evokes memories for sure but I took this photo because I like any sign that has light bulbs around it.

No comments: