Tuesday 6 March 2007

shapes of trees


shapes of trees, originally uploaded by Lester Ralph Blair.

Around six weeks or thereabouts, I take my wife to have her hair washed, dyed, styled and expertly cut. While this process is taking place, I drive to Seatoun, 'a seaside village' like suburb of Wellington. There has been much drama here, one of New Zealands worst maritime disasters. Almost four decades ago the 'Wahine' a ship that ferried passengers and cars between Wellinton and Lyttelton capsized just off Seatoun in a storm that was raging through the Wellington Harbour heads. Fifty one people lost their lives. You can read about it here: New Zealand Maritime Record. On this day though it was just the ordinary things that caught my interest, like the shapes of the pohutukawa trees on this Seatoun Avenue. And ordinary is where I like to be.

No comments: